You are here
All Football 

Derby County 0-0 Bristol City

Aden Flint’s goalline clearance helped Bristol City keep their first clean sheet since Boxing Day

Championship promotion-chasers Derby and Bristol City had to settle for a point each following a goalless draw.

The Rams went closest, with Aden Flint clearing a Curtis Davies header off the line and Johnny Russell hitting the bar with a free-kick in the first half.

After the break substitute Bristol City keeper Luke Steele saved well from Tom Lawrence and Matej Vydra.

Derby’s Cameron Jerome was booked for diving late on when he appeared to be fouled in the box by Flint.

Replays showed the Bristol City defender clearly made contact with Jerome, who was making his debut from the bench after joining from Norwich in midweek, but the striker exaggerated his fall.

That decision capped a frustrating night for second-placed Derby, who are now nine points behind leaders Wolves, as they failed to find a way through.

After a cagey opening, it was Bristol City who had the first clear chance of the game only for Jamie Paterson’s half-volley from eight yards to fly well over the bar.

Vydra then saw a free-kick pushed around the post by Fielding, who injured his groin and had to be replaced by Steele at half-time.

He was soon in the action, tipping Lawrence’s shot over the bar and saving well from Vydra with his legs to help the Robins keep their first clean sheet in six games.

Lee Johnson’s side, who climb back above Aston Villa into fourth, were a threat on the break with the power of substitute Famara Diedhiou, back from a knee injury which has kept him out since October, and both Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid saw speculative efforts fly narrowly wide.

Derby County boss Gary Rowett on the decision not to award his side a late penalty:

“I asked the referee afterwards and he said ‘it looked to me like it wasn’t clear’. I understand that he has got to make a decision, but he has got it wrong.

“It has cost us a chance to win the game.

“But we had enough chances to not need the penalty tonight. For big spells of the game, we caused Bristol City lots and lots of problems.”

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson:

“I’ll be honest, live, I did think it was a dive, and then I looked up to my left where the replay was on, which shouldn’t have been legal to do so by the rules – it could have started a riot particularly in the technical area.

“But I did then think it looked like a penalty on the replay.

“It was a good effort from the players. We deserved it. We worked very hard.

“We were definitely in the game and looked decent on the counter. It is a good point.”

Source link

Related posts

Leave a Comment